The Medical Director will provide oversight of Hillside’s general treatment program including the treatment needs and services provided to all children in the residential program. Hillside has a residential capacity of 80 children and adolescents. Ensures adherence to policies and procedures by the clinical team and treatment staff. The Medical Director also provides oversight of Hillside’s Nursing Department. Additionally, the Medical Director provides direct psychiatric care to assigned youth in Hillside’s PRTF and PHP programs – including admissions, ongoing psychiatric assessments, psychotropic medication management, and discharge planning. Ensures and/or provides adequate staffing for psychiatric coverage during normal business hours as well as emergency and after hours care.
M.D. or D.O., licensed in the State of Georgia, and must be Board eligible in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Be knowledgeable of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). Must have five years of management experience in child and adolescent mental health.
Founded in January 1888, Hillside is one of Atlanta’s oldest nonprofit organizations. It began as a shelter for homeless women and needy children through the efforts of a sponsoring group of women led by Mrs. Levi Nelson, Mrs. Edgar McBurney, and Mrs. J.P. Averill.
The home, which was to become Hillside, was initially named Home for the Friendless and operated from a ten-room house in Downtown ...Atlanta. The home cared for women, children, and newborn babies. Foster care placements and adoptions were also arranged as needed.
Space quickly became inadequate, and the home moved in 1889 to a house at Peters and Fair Streets, and then again in 1892 to a site at Highland Avenue and Randolph Street.
As other agencies were formed to care for adults, the Home for the Friendless became exclusively a shelter for school-aged children. In the 1920’s the home made a number of improvements necessary to bring the program into compliance with a new set of child welfare standards, which were developing nationally.
During this time, the Kiwanis Club became interested in the home, through the efforts of Mrs. McBurney. The Kiwanians made financial contributions to help bring the home up to the national standards and to help enhance the life experiences of the children in care.
As the home grew, it needed more space. In 1926, eight acres of rolling woodland at 690 Courtenay Drive were purchased, and a contest was held to select a new name for the home. Mrs. Mabel Walker suggested the name Hillside Cottages, which was chosen as the new name along with the tag line “A friendly home for children.”
The Kiwanis Club of Atlanta donated the funds to build the first of the Hillside Cottages. It was completed in 1927, today serves as residence for young boys, and is still known as the Kiwanis Cottage.
Just as Hillside’s location and facilities have changed over time, the mission of serving the most needy children has also evolved. Today Hillside operates as a private, nonprofit organization offering a continuum of services for children and adolescents struggling with emotional and behavioral issues.
Still located on Courtenay Drive in the Morningside neighborhood near Midtown Atlanta, Hillside’s campus has grown with the expansion of an additional five acres of land next door to its original campus and bordering Monroe Drive. Hillside now has a 13-acre campus that houses its Residential treatment program, administration offices, Treatment foster care offices, and Community programs offices. In 2015, Hillside proudly announced the addition of our Hillside DBT outpatient clinic, located in Buckhead.
Since our beginning in 1888, Hillside’s mission has been to help children and families thrive by providing outstanding residential and community mental health services.
Our Residential Program, Treatment Foster Care Program, Community Intervention Program, and Outpatient Clinic all keep focus on the strengths of our children and therefore encourage the growth and improvement they need to become future self-sustaining citizens.