The Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW- C) with the Certified Addictions Counselor (CAC) designation is a mental health professional who is experienced in providing intensive case management and mental health services to patients. In this capacity, the LCSW-C has designated responsibilities for the daily operations of the Substance Abuse team. The LCSW-C participates in program planning, implementation and evaluation, and takes a leadership role in the development of substance abuse services at Greater Baden Medical Services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide intake/readmission services, including several weeks of supportive follow-up counseling for new patients
- Primary liaison to arrange for the “warm hand-off” to the substance abuse counselor or mental health provider.
- Works closely with the Health Department programs to ensure patients have access to medication-assisted treatment services.
- Works closely with Certified Addition Counselor to insure patients receive optimal evaluation and treatment services for substance use disorders.
- Arrange patient referrals to the mental health or substance abuse providers.
- Follow up with patients that are ambivalent about accepting services. Work with Certified Addition Counselor to set up supportive groups.
- Orient patients to the treatment program’s operation and procedures
- Provide consultation to the Providers regarding appropriateness for treatment, identified problems, and needed referrals for all patients on caseload and those assessed by the counselor.
- Orient medical providers and staff to Cherokee Integrated Care model.
- Ensure that patient confidentially is protected by properly completing release of information to all outside referrals and contacts (i.e. Medical coordination, information from other facilities).
- Maintenance of all records in compliance with state specific and federal regulations
- Provide patient education relating to the illness of chemical dependency and the process of recovery.
- Participate in Quality Improvement and Quality Assurance activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job description provides a summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by individuals in this position. Incumbents may be asked to perform other tasks not specifically written in this job description. These additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as deemed by the Chief Executive Officer.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in social work with a license in Maryland as an LCSW-C required
- Certified Addictions Counselor designation required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in addiction counseling required
- Professional maturity, flexibility, and a desire to work in an independent, patient-oriented setting.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
- Strong team player with excellent organizational skills.
- Knowledge of local community resources.
- Internal: Superior customer service skills required. This includes tact working with patients, families, and visitors.
- Works in a team environment with the other clinical staff.
- External: Excellent verbal communication skills when answering and returning telephone calls.
- Typical medical office setting.
- Assignments to particular sites, schedules and hours can be changed at any time with reasonable notice and maybe include weekend hours.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to many types of situations, including crisis situations.
- Ability to manage stress and stress related symptoms due to interacting with clients in crisis.
- Will require driving between health centers.
- Prolonged sitting, chiefly at a computer terminal
- Occasional bending, stooping and stretching
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment.
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate in writing, in person and by phone.
- Requires occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Must monitor their own time and stress levels to ensure that they are able to effectively assist clients.
- The Counselor may be placed in a situation where his/her own life may be threatened as well as life-threatening situations for others such as instances of attempted suicide.
- LCSW-C will be in contact with individuals and families in crisis who may be ill, using substances and/or not attentive to personal health and safety for themselves or their homes.
- LCSW-C may experience a number of unpleasant sensory demands associated with the use of alcohol and drugs, and the lack of personal care.
- Will require driving between health centers.
Teamwork · Quality · Respect · Professionalism · Commitment